Thursday, September 6, 2012

Handmade Onesie Gift Ideas


This is my new little niece.  Her adorableness inspired some projects that I have been wanting to share.  Her "lil sis" onesie being one of them.

 Ohhhh man, why is baby girl stuff so much more fun and cute and adorable then baby boy stuff?? 

Anyway, as I was preparing this post I thought, why not show off all my onesie pictures I've snapped over the years.  Keep in mind this is less then half of the appliqued onesies I've made and most of the pictures were snapped on my phone.  But hopefully it will help inspire you to make some fun baby gifts!


Here is another outfit I made for my little niece.  Her and her Mamma ADORE it!  And I'm so glad. This "bib front" applique was achieved by using medium width ric rac, sewing it flat around the bib part then pressing it in half and sewing around it again.  (hopefully the picture helps)

The skirt was made by making a simple tube, casing with elastic and then attaching a band around the bottom.  In this post HERE I explain the best way to attach a band to anything.


Now for the smorgasbord of onesies!
 
 

 

 











 




Isn't this "lil sis" just the sweetest thing?!!!
 

Now.....Here is a link to my video tutorial.

How to do a simple applique

It's super cheesy I did it a long time ago so don't judge ;)
Now that you know how to applique (because you watched the video ;)), you can feel free to copy any of the ideas seen here on this blog.  You can even copy the images and then paste them into Word (or wherever), mess with the sizing until you get what you want (it's ok if it's fuzzy) and then print the picture and literally trace and copy it!!  Enjoy!

11 comments:

The Calico Crew said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Such cute baby gift ideas! My favorite thing about your posts is that you're not stingy about your ideas. Thanks for sharing...maybe someday I will put YOUR good ideas to use!! ;0) Thanks for sharing!

Christy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

All of these are so cute. Thanks fro sharing them.

Melissa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I discovered your blog recently, and I love all of your projects! Thanks for sharing your fantastic ideas.

Kristi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I really Wish you were still making them for people B could use a ton more!! Miss you and LOVE YYOU'R WORK!!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Really great pics of terrific applique! I have to compliment you on your use of color. So fun!

Amber Em said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are too cute! Can't wait to make some for my soon to be here grandaughter!

Andrea said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Found you via Pintrest. I am just starting to sew and found this post very helpful!

Christina Livingston said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great post! I have one question - do the edges of the applique fray because they are left exposed?

freetobehis said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your edges are so not frayed, how did you do that? Even when I use fusible web I still get fray. Love your stuff!

freetobehis said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your edges are so not frayed, how did you do that? Even when I use fusible web I still get fray. Love your stuff!

Sundi @ The Life of a Cheap Chickadee, Lydia, and Addy Pace said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@freetobehisI use Heat n Bond "sewable" and it works marvelously! The edges either don't fray or they barely fray :)