Friday, August 24, 2012

Mr. & Mrs. Gnome Halloween Costume and How to...


Last year my two youngest, Jack and Averi, were gnomes for Halloween. These two were by far my favorite Halloween creatures EVER!  Not only was it original (well original enough that Averi was the only gnome at her school), it was soooo easy!  I mostly used stuff I already had around the house to make their costumes.  And we got tons of compliments!

After I shower you with a million more pictures, scroll down and I'll tell you exactly how I made their costumes...









How To:

Let's start with the skirt since going through my picture files I realized it's the only thing I took a picture of. 

I took an old pillowcase and cut off the bottom so it was just the right length for her skirt.  You could also use a sheet or any fabric at all and just make a tube.  I then cut a little apron for the front in the shape of a bib.  I basically just cut a rectangle and then rounded the corners.  I then zigzagged around the entire edge of the apron fabric.  Then I attached it to the top of the skirt.  After that all you need to do is hem the bottom and fold over the top for a casing and insert the elastic.  (See picture below)

You can embellish the skirt however you like.  I sewed some ric rack and ball trim around the bottom of the skirt and appliqued some toad stools in the bottom corner.  Here is the link for my video post on how to applique.  As for the suspenders... Averi didn't want me to attach them because she wanted to wear this skirt for playtime later.  Sweet!  So I used ribbon.  I sewed a button to the bottom of each ribbon (so it would look like the suspenders were buttoned) and then I just safety pinned the ribbon to the front, crossed it in the back and safety pinned again.  

Her leggings, shirt and, shrug were just stuff from her closet.  

I spray painted her shoes red.  The tutorial for spray painting shoes is found here.

Her cheeks have lipstick circles on them :)


The Hats:



Oh man!  This was so much easier and well fitting than I thought it would be!  I bought a couple yards (although I think one would suffice) of red felt.  I then measured their heads all the way around and halfed that.  This measurement is for the bottom line of the triangle for the hat.  I doubled up the red felt and then drew an elongated and very slightly rounded triangle on the fabric.  Then cut out both triangles together, sewed the triangles together at the sides and then turned it inside out.  I hope that's clear.  So if your child's head circumference is 24 inches around then the bottom line of the triangles should be approximately 12 inches long each... although you should give an inch for seam allowance so 13.  Felt is cheap so don't be afraid to buy and extra half yard in case it takes you a couple tries to get it just right.  In my case I ended up cutting out 3 hats to get the two that I liked.  

For Averi's hat I added a felt flower to the side and for Jack's I added eyebrows to the very bottom.

Let's talk about the Boy Gnome Costume:

For the shirt, I wanted long sleeve but couldn't find one so I bought his blue shirt at the dollar store, cut off the sleeves and then layered a long sleeve under that.  He is wearing red pajama pants and black rain boots on bottom.  If you don't have any "gnome-ish boots" you could buy some at the thrift store and spray paint them black.

For the belt, I used ultra thick black elastic.  It's sold by the yard at fabric stores.  I cut a square out of a cardboard box with two small rectangles in the middle of the square to loop the black elastic through. I spray painted the cardboard buckle gold.  Then I stitched the belt closed in the back with my machine.

For the beard and eyebrows, I bought some "beard like" fabric at Joann's, I'm not sure what It's called but I bought it in the minky baby blanket material section at Joann Fabrics.  It was white but I barely ran over it with a can of silver spray paint.  After cutting out the beard and eyebrows I used "fray check" and then sewed around the edges of each piece to eliminate fraying and unraveling.  I then sewed the beard to the very top of his shirt and the eyebrows to the very bottom of his hat.  It looked pretty hilarious when we pulled the hat clear down over his eyebrows but we couldn't get him to leave it like that.  Either way he was flipping adorable!!

This picture is after a night at the school Halloween carnival so they look a little haggard.  I can't believe I didn't get a good picture of them together!  I'm sure it probably had something to do with the fact that Jack was two. Awww....... I'm already pining for them to be a year younger and my little gnomes again!

6 comments:

Shelley said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Awe! I love the gnome costumes! So cute!! We tried to get our then 3 year old to be a gnome last year but he was super set on Spiderman. You are a very talented sewer!! I wish I was that good!

the cape on the corner said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oooooh yes, this is so stinking cute! i love gnomes...just did a whole post about it, too. your kiddos look super cute!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OOOOO-MG those costumes {and models} are CUTE!! You just made me laugh out loud with delight. Thank you! Pinning.

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
Wildly Original Linky party is open!

Yxl Ian said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

wow,it's so cute,I like the Halloween Costume~~

Mary Karlee Mullen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks so much for posting this costume and the details on how to make it. I put it together for my nearly two year old son and he was a hit everywhere he wore that costume. It was cuteness perfected. Thank you again!!

Martha said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love, love, love these adorable costumes! Wish I had your creativity!

My brother has a halloween website where he is holding a costume contest where you can enter to win with a $250 grand prize.

Just wanted to let you know about it in case you want to enter this costume or others!

http://www.halloweenhero.com/costume-contest-2013.html

Thanks!