Friday, August 17, 2012

Introducing... A Retro Boys Room {and how i did it so CHEAP}




 Well, that's what I'm calling it.  Can you think of a better theme name?  Now that the kids are back in school I have been dying to do some blogging but of course the day they went back to school my internet went down!  Argh!  I'm still having issues but we have a tech coming out today hopefully!  

I've had Jack and "nameless baby boy due in October's" room "almost" done for a long time now but put off sharing it until I got the old/new to me crib set up.  Well...needless to say the broken crib is still sitting in Jack's room and the new one is still in the garage but I thought I'd share today anyway.  Just picture the room with an adorable dark wood old school spindle crib in the corner...NOT BROKEN.

I love all things old and antique and I kind of fight against rooms with a heavy definite theme. I think that shows through in this playful, colorful all boy room!  I love the way it's finally come together...and I mean finally!  This has been 3 years in the making!  
Enjoy!


Where and how I got everything...
The blue dresser was an armoire my husband picked up while moving someone.  It was hideously painted black and white.  It's also made of cheap veneer.  I used an oil base "stain killer" primer (two coats) and then a million cans of Krylon Global Blue spray paint.  So far the paint is holding up nicely.  For the inside I modge podged wrapping paper bought from Target.  It wrinkled and bubbled and looks kind of bad up close but from about a foot away you can't tell ;)  The rug was only 14.00 at Ikea which is also where I got the train set and book shelves.  The book shelves are called "spice racks" They were only 4.00 each, I spray painted them in the color Catalina Mist also Krylon.  The cute little canvas storage boxes were also from Ikea in the children's section and were 7.00 for a set of 3.  Lastly the wood crate (in the corner) is from Joann's, I think they run about 10.00 each and come raw so you can paint or stain them however you like.  This is also the color "Catalina Mist".  The road signs on the wall were bought at Hobby Lobby and everything else is from thrift stores and hand me downs.  Literally (yes even the Buzz Lightyear toy).  There is not one piece of new furniture in this room.  I do it CHEAP people!



 This quilt on Jack's bed was the easiest thing ever!  I can't wait to post a tutorial on it.  I'll give you a snippet though, I bought "prequilted fabric" for only 9.00 a yard!



10 comments:

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

SUPER cute! You are the Queen of Decorating Awesomeness. I should make you a crown.

I'll have to give you a call soon! (we're headed out the door) I miss chatting with you. And we need to get together and craft something. I don't even care what. Or just go eat somewhere. :)

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, and I love the modge podged wrapping paper. See? You are Royally Awesome.

Chelsea said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it!! What an awesome color on the wardrobe

Mariam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I need to come and see it in person. Wonderful!

Malinda said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You did such a great job Sundi. Love it.

Jennie Larsen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Simply adorable. I love it all! The pennant lining and the pennant on the wall are such a cute touch. I shared this on my COM-FB page. winks, jen

amanda persinger said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

so cute! Lovely blog too!

Danielle @ 2 Little Superheroes said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OK this is so amazing! I can't wait to read about how you made that beautiful quilt! And I love the wrapping paper you put inside the closet. Amazing!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

A friend of mine Pinned the pajama pants. I stopped by to check it out, but then I saw the quilt. I LOVE THE QUILT! We are redoing my 4 year old daughter's room and I can't wait to see how you did it. Great blog!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great room! Are the circles applique on top of the pre quilted fabric? 1 or 2 layer?