Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Personalized (nickname) Mismatching PJ Pants Tutorial {let's be specific}


 
Lately this little picture (seen first in this handmade gifts for girls post), has been pinned a lot and I've had a lot of requests for a tutorial.  Being in my almost 7 months (and hot) pregnant state, I'm feeling a little lazy.  And since my girls all have a pair of personalized PJ pants I have no need to make more.  So.....  I'll try to explain the best I can with pictures that I already have.

First start with your favorite pj pants pattern. {If you're looking to make your own pj pant pattern, or if your confused about how to execute the one you have this tutorial from Simply Modern Mom  is a really great one with super helpful photos} I've perfected one that I bought at Walmart long ago and since have transferred all the patterns to newspaper and then threw it away!  I'm so sorry to all of you who keep asking me what pattern I use. I could make one up but I don't want to lie.  I just don't remember :(.  Most of them are basically the same but I thought this Taylor Made Pajama Pants Pattern  on Amazon looked like a great place to start (or just go pick one up at Wally for 3 bucks like I did!)

Make your pants just like the pattern instructs you to, only make them about 5 inches shorter than you will need them to be in the end (saving fabric and leaving room for the band on the bottom).  Then attach the band of fabric to the bottom of the pants.


Enter "Attaching a Fabric Band Tutorial"
I've been meaning to post this tutorial for a while because I use it so much.  And I think it's a wonderful way to avoid fraying seams if you don't have a serger.  I use this strategy on skirts, ruffle pants, shirts and shorts as well.



1.  First measure a strip of fabric for the band against the width of whatever you are attaching it to.  Make the band twice as tall as you want it to look because your going to fold it in half.  So to make a 4 inch band I would cut a 8 inch tall strip of fabric (the length of the strip is going to depend on the length of your pant leg, skirt or whatever you are attaching it to).  Then sew the the band up the side (as pictured).





2.  Fold the band in half and press.



Now you have this...



3.  Face your right sides out and put your raw edges together.  Your pant leg should be completely inside the band.



 4.  Sew the two pieces together around the bottom.  If they don't fit exactly right then start pulling and stretching the shorter piece as you sew the last 8 inches or so. As long as your not waaay off with your measurements, the stretching should take care of any puckering.  




5.  Press the band back out with the raw seems facing up and top stitch around the whole thing right along the line of the pant leg.  I used white thread so you could see....(this will keep the raw edges inside the skirt from fraying too much and it will also make it so you won't have to iron after washing)

End "Attaching a Fabric Band Tutorial"

For the mismatching tie on the front of the pants I just sewed two long mismatching strips of fabric together and then made a sash, tied it in a bow and then sewed it to the pants directly under the elastic waste-band.



Enter "Sash Tutorial":



 1.  Cut a strip of fabric the length you want the sash to be and twice as thick as you want it to be.  In this picture I'm making shoe laces so it's very thin.  Put your iron on high steam and press like you see in the picture.


 2.  Press it again in half so there are no raw edges showing. Finish the two ends by folding in the corners for a triangle shape at the ends, or just simply fold it straight in if you want the ends straight.


3.  Sew a straight seem along the open edge all the way down the sash.

 Should look like this


End "Sash Tutorial"

For the personalized part of the pants, I appliqued. Lydia's nickname is "muffin" and that's what I think makes these pants so fun, the fact that it's her "code name".  She LOVES these pants!  Appliqueing is sooo fun and easy and I do it so often that I made a really lame and cheezy video tutorial.


Enter "Appliqueing Tutorial"

 
 End "Appliqueing Tutorial"
Last but not least, I put a pocket on the back of the pants.  For this I just cut out a rectangle, pressed the edges in and sewed the pocket on.  Pretty basic. I know this may seem like a long tutorial but it's really just your basic PJ pants with a little embellishment.  I wanted to make sure I covered the "embellishment" parts for all you beginner sewers out there.  Don't get frustrated you can do it!  We were all beginners once!  In fact I still sometimes consider myself a beginner for the simple fact that there are so many projects and techniques out there that I have not yet tackled and still have no clue about! Good luck with your personalized pj pants!
The End ;)

8 comments:

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How cute are these?! I love how a simple pair of pajama pants can be made into something fabulous!

Well done!
- Jess
mesewcrazy.com

Helen - And Who Says You Cant? said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for this tutorial! I have little to no sew skills so be honest...you think I can handle this as a first venture? If not, can you direct me to a good (but super cute) clothing type project for a very cute little niece of mine?? ;-) thanks again for such a great post!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wonderful website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any forums
that cover the same topics discussed in this
article? I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!
Look into my blog post ; eco.kid

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have created some
nice methods and we are looking to trade techniques with
others, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.
My website > click through the up coming website page

anika said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey-found this via pinterest. Love the tutorial, just curious, I didn't quite make it out, what type of heat n' bond stuff is it? A while back (for a different project) I got some and then realized that the packaging said you should not sew on it, it seemed to imply that you'd gunk up your needle.
Also, I think it's fabulous that you had your daughter hold the camera for you. Props to the both of you.
P.S. my 6 year old daughter thinks your daughter is super cute:)

Sundi @ The Life of a Cheap Chickadee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@anika
Thanks for the sweet compliments! I use Heat n Bond "sewable". There's a big difference it has a small picture of a sewing machine on the front and I think it comes in a purple package :) Hope that helps!

Jenny McCready said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am interested in the fabric you used. What type is it?

Jenny McCready said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am interested in the type of fabric you used for the pj pants. What type of material is it?