Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Love Note Baby Blanket {I just can't wait!!}







I just can't wait for my little guy to get here!!  I decided to make him a blanket to help pass the time.  The song "Bushel And a Peck" has great meaning to our family and my kiddos have been singing it a lot lately so I decided to put a little love message for the little guy on his little blankie (am I saying "little" a lot?)

I made the blanket using an old flannel sheet for the batting.  It worked out to be the perfect weight and size!  And it was cheap!  I basically sewed the front fabric to the flannel and then put right sides together, sewed around the three edges, turned it right sides out, tucked the raw edges in and sewed it shut at the top.  Then I top stitched around the remaining 3 edges of the blanket.  To bind the quilt/blanket together, I sewed about 5 squiggly vertical lines going from the top to the bottom of the blanket.  I hope that makes sense.  There are a lot of ways to make a blanket like this but I thought I'd share mine.  

I used wonder under to attach the love message and then sewed around the edges of the fabric a few times in slightly random lines.

Here is my printing on fabric tutorial...  I use it for tons of stuff!


I think this would make an amazing baby gift!  You could put the babies name and weight and all that fun stuff.... Or if you're a grandma (do like my mom does) and put a love message such as "Made for you with love from Gammy" or "Nanna" or "Grandma" or "Granny" or "Hot Mama" ;)

Have fun!!

*Update!! ( 7/15/12)
 I know I'm really bad at explaining things.  I just like to let the pictures do the explaining.  I've had a few people confused on this "printing on fabric" and figured I better clarify. 

The reason you print on the paper first is to see exactly how the image or words will look and where they are placed on the paper.  Then you've got it just right, you tape your fabric directly over what you just printed and then send it through the printer again so that it prints out in the very same spot but on the fabric this time.  Hopefully that makes sense. 

When your taping the fabric to the paper make sure you do it so that the paper isn't bent at all, try to make it as smooth as possible or it may jam your printer.  Hope that helps!!

8 comments:

adaynasmile said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Does the ink bleed at all? I would worry about it bleeding all over my hard work...

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute! I love it. And I really need to try this printing on fabric sometime soon. I bought some of that same gnomey fabric, too. But in pink. And a bit of red, yellow and...oh, some of that blue, too...I think. Zoe picked them out for a new dress or something for Kindergarten. I should probably get started on that...

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute! I love it. And I really need to try this printing on fabric sometime soon. I bought some of that same gnomey fabric, too. But in pink. And a bit of red, yellow and...oh, some of that blue, too...I think. Zoe picked them out for a new dress or something for Kindergarten. I should probably get started on that...

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Found this from Pinterest. Love the fabric choices!!! Do you know what brand the mushroom fabric is? Now I know what to do with the ton of old flannel baby blankets we barely used.

Sundi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Anonymous Shoot I don't know what kind of fabric it was. I picked it up at a quilting shop. Erin? Do you know?

Jamie Garlick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So you just tape the fabric to the printed paper and it automatically, magically transfers to the fabric? I think I missed something here...

Baked In The South said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love this! Thanks for sharing! We would love to have you link up some of your projects over at our party!

http://baked-inthesouth.blogspot.com/2012/07/made-it-by-monday-link-party.html

Melissa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Anonymous The fabric is from LECIEN WOODLAND - and called TOADSTOOL HOUSES TEAL.