Sunday, July 15, 2012

Girly PJ Shorts Tutorial and Tricks For Hemming With Ric Rac!




We spend a lot of nights (and mornings) in our PJ's outdoors during the summer.  I wanted to make the girls something cute, cool and girly!  Plus, I have a lot of cute scraps and this project doesn't take a whole lot of fabric (the shorts for my two youngest girls took only 1/2 yard each)

Let's get started!
 First things first, you need to have a favorite Pajama pants pattern.  I bought mine at Walmart for around 3 dollars. I transferred all my kids sizes onto news paper and put them into a little manilla folder which I use ALL the time!  I use the PJ pants pattern for their Ruffle Pants as well.  I think it's really important to know your pattern with this one.  Do you like the inseam to be long or short?  Do you like the legs straight or flared?  Tight fitting or loose?  I've adjusted my patterns a little bit to get them just right for each of my kiddos.  I found this pattern on Amazon that I thought looked pretty cute and might be a good one to start with...

                                                         

For these shorts you will also need wide ric rac  and ribbon for the tie.

Once you've cut the pattern out, fold the legs up to the length you want your shorts to be, pin them to the fabric, and follow all the PJ pants directions clear up until the hemming of the bottom.  Here's where the cool trick comes in...  (I apologize for the tutorial pic quality, they were taken with my phone)

Fold and press the bottom of your shorts legs (folding just once over)


Then sew your fat ric rac (or whatever trim you desire)  around the front side of each leg.  As you can see in the picture I try to center the ric rac so that the center of the ric rac is running right over the bottom of the hem.  Try to sew a straight line right across the center.


When your done with that, fold the whole hem under again (this creates a double hem) 

And then press, and top stitch over that. I love the effect the "half peeking out ric rac" creates.  I wouldn't even know what to name that...anyone?
For the tie on the pants I just tied a ribbon in a knot (make sure you either burn or hem the bottoms of the ribbon and also the ends of the ric rac) and then placed it right below the elastic in the pants and sewed right over the knot 4 or 5 times with my machine.

Easy peasy cutie patootie!!



9 comments:

The Bean Sprout Notes said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your girlie pjs look great

craftytammie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

adorable! i'll have to try that!

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Super cute! Love 'em. And love the pics, too. Ric rac is the best, right?

Mariam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love, Love, Love.

Kristi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

SOO Stinking cute! I want some... do you think I could bribe you to make me some LOL

Crafty Mischief said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Darling! I'm pretty sure my girls need some! :)

Seaweed and Raine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Cute jamies. Did you use flannelette

Cassandra said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

They are so adorable! Thanks for sharing :)
Found you via Vintage Wanna Bee.. now I'm off to have a look at your other posts :)

Cass

Kristy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

super cute!!!