Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fabric Scraps Necklace

Sorry for the pregnant shot.  I wish I had a model handy but alas there was none to be found...

I first saw this idea on Cakies and loved it. I pretty much just love that blog in general!  Her version is a little different then mine though, so I'll try to explain what I did.........

First I ripped my fabric into long strips.  If I didn't have long strips I tied knots in some of them making them longer and as a result, making my necklace cuter and scrappier.

I then braided 4 different strands of three (which means you will need 12 long strips total).  2 short braids, 1 medium and 1 long.  I used mostly cotton but a little bit of knit in there as well.

I held the ends of the braids together with rubber bands until I was ready to finish the project.

To finish I sewed all the strands together with a thick needle and my sewing machine.  First I secured both sides of the 3 bottom strands together.  Then I sewed the single piece (to go around the neck) to those pieces.  If you are of the "no sew" variety you could just tie the ends all together with knots which would give it character!  Or use glue.

On one side I pulled and fanned out the remaining ends of the fabric and on the other side I cut all the excess fabric off and wrapped a piece of  fabric around it in a tube type shape. This gave it the asymmetrical look.  Ack! Hopefully I'm making sense! Look closely at the picture and hopefully that will help.

When I was all finished I wet down the entire necklace really good and pulled on it to shape it.  This worked soooo great!

I love it!

Sometimes I clip a fabric flower on it

And sometimes not...

My little girls are really in to braiding right now so we are working on their mini me's and should be done shortly.  I'll post pictures of those necklaces as well!

7 comments:

Catherine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Just saw your picture at Tip Junkie - this neckalce is gorgeous! Love the different colours, might have to try one myself! Thank you for sharing!

Mariam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very Creative! Love the tip on wetting the fabric.

Kristin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How cute! Love it :)

millibaari said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just loooove this <3

jaime ♥ raising up rubies said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

very very sweet ♥ love it!

Connie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh. My. Goodness!!! LOVED this post, please link it with me tomorrow at Wow Us Wednesday!

sandlegirl81 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I saw this on Pinterest and made one this afternoon! It was so easy, and you make the tutorial so simple to follow! I love it and can't wait to try more of your tutorials:)