Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Different kind of "Baby Thoughts" Quilt Tutorial

This is my daughter Averi's favorite blanket!  It's special because we made it out of her old baby clothes!  I thought I'd share a tutorial with you....













What you will need
1.  Old baby clothes and a few scraps of new fabric to brighten it up and tie all the colors together
2.  An old white sheet
3.  Wonder Under fusible interfacing
4.  Minky for the backing
5.  Thick Flannel for the middle or batting
6.  A coordinating cotton for the binding
7. fabric glue quilting spray

What I did in a nutshell
I first cut the baby clothes up into flat peices that I could use then fused the wonder under to the back side and cut out leafs.  Then I set them out to see how much more I would need.  I went to my oversized fabric stash and picked some fun coordinating fabrics and cut out more leafs, and set them out on the white cotton until I had a pattern I liked.

I then drew 3 lines down the middle with washable marker where the vines would go.  Then I started ironing on the leaves all along the vines.  Then I sewed around the leaves, and then sewed a squiggly line down the middle of the line I had just drawn for the vine (just one line) using a really thick green thread.  (These steps all done with my machine)

Next I cut my peice of minky and my piece of flannel (for the batting) the same size as the quilt top.  Then I sprayed the fabric glue to each side fusing all three layers together.  Don't worry the fabric glue allows you to pull it apart if you don't get it right the first time.

Next I sewed two more lines over the vines running through all three layers of fabric (using a straight stitch but weaving in and out in a vine like way)

Then I bound the quilt using this machine binding tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts.






When I was finished I realized that I forgot to put a secret pocket on this blanket like I had done with her sisters quilts so I added one on the back!





19 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love this! I wish I had your talent!

Hopeful1 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

WOW! That is just stunning!
- Hope ;)

Rachelle Marsden said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sundi, I can not believe you posted this! I have been planning on doing this for my kids, (but with their favorite clothes as they are growing up, to give to them when they move out) and this is so very helpful and inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
:)

P.S. I would love to get Addy and Chloe together sometime, they seem to get along real well.

Kelli said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very cute! My mom and I made my daughter a doll blanket using this same pattern. I love that it's applique and not piecing, so it goes quickly. I just wish we made another one full sized instead of doll sized because I love how yours turned out!

Wendy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a lovely idea! My brother just had a baby and I've asked him to keep the baby's "special" clothes so I can make a memory quilt for him in a few years.

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a great idea! Such a wonderful keepsake and it's gorgeous!

Randi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is so cute and such a great idea!

Randi
www.regal-rhino.blogspot.com

Tutus & Tea Parties said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a great idea! I have boxes of old baby clothes that I just couldn't part with. Perfect solution...if only I could sew. Thanks for linking up to our Pinteresting Party.

Pamela R said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a lovely way to use old baby clothes you hate parting with!

Kristin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the leaf pattern! =)

Visiting from The 36th Avenue

Liz @ Here's to Handy Andy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Absolutely adorable! Such a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing at A Pinteresting Link Party!

Jenilyn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful. I love the leaves. I would love for you to link this up at the "I Made This" party at Grits & Giggles. http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/06/i-made-this-8.html

Michelles Tasty Creations said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful quilt! I found your blog through Somewhat Simple blog party and I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts, at my Creative Thursday Link Party (open through Monday each week) at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. Have a wonderful weekend.
Michelle

Kim said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello! I saw your link over at the Crafty Soiree linky party this week, and this quilt is beautiful!! I'm not the best quilter, but this I just have to try! I love your work, thanks for sharing!!

Kim

SEO said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Bubbabotique provides all baby products and it has lots of new baby accessories and clothing as well as a Christening section and a new Premature Baby section as well as bolstering our current categories.

baby gifts for boys

Heather@LilyBloomStudio said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I LOVE this idea!! I've never made a quilt, but I've been thinking about trying it. I have a TON of my girls' old clothes in my sewing stash pile. This is inspiring me...

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

beautiful! I am making this. How long did you cut the leaves? Thanks!! Jacqui
jacqui_0711@yahoo.com

Linden said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This quilt is gorgeous! What did you do with the edges of the leaves? Did you turn them under, or leave the raw edges out? Have they unraveled at all?

Sundi @ The Life of a Cheap Chickadee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Linden I used Heat n Bond "sewable" make sure it's the sewable kind! It's marvelous! And no, I didn't turn the edges under and they have still not frayed after numerous washings! :)