Thursday, May 10, 2012

Painting Furniture For "High Kid Usage" {my stools!}


{The highlights of my wordy post}

-For "high kid usage furniture" use oil base paint

-only very minimal sanding is needed

-use a satin finish


I painted my stools!  I wanted to share them with you and also what I learned!

I've been wanting to paint my stools for a while but was hesitant because of the high usage that they get!  I would dare say my barstools get more usage then any other piece of furniture in the house.

I've had good and bad luck with spraypaint.  Although spray paint and I are best friends forever, we all know BFF's don't always get along.  I've had great luck with spray paint EXCEPT for with chairs.  It's just hard to keep paint looking nice with something you sit on.  Especially now that those jeans with buttons on the back pockets are in style.  Those buttons are killing me!

So..... I expressed my concerns to the "paint expert" at the paint store and he suggested using an oil base paint.  I kinda figured he was going to say that.  He said it would work WAAAAY better then anything else out there and I wouldn't need to sand much at all (so I didn't of course).

When I was finished with the 3 coats of oil base paint (I used a simple brush designed for oil base paint), I then applied 3 coats of minwax fast drying polyurethane

This is what the stools looked like before (I know it's gross).  Notice how you can see every finger print, bum print, milk spill, scratch...you get the picture.  The stools always looked gross to me even though I washed them daily.  Thus, why I wanted to paint them and exactly why I used a SATIN finish......



I tell you what!  They look soooo much better all the time.  Sometimes I even forget to wash the Doritos hand prints off of them because it's hardly noticeable!  And the paint!  Oh the paint!!  It was a bit more work and a little harder to manage but I will be using oil base paint for all my "high kid usage" furniture from now on!  Oil base is actually a great way to go if your painting over laminate as well..... which I can testify to because I painted a desk for my daughter using oil base and it's now on it's third year and doing swell!

I used sanding and a stamp pad (which said great for distressing furniture) for my distressing techniques.  I would not suggest the ink pad.  The ink has mostly worn off.  I would use a black antiquing gel>.  I use antiquing gel for everything so I was fresh out  and the ink pad just seemed like so much fun!  And it was :/.  Shoot.



I didn't change anything else in my kitchen but I feel it has a whole new clean, fresh, hip look!

9 comments:

Mariam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

They look GREAT!

Dacia said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love them, especially the color!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

AMAZING Sundi! I want to do something like this with the chairs in my kitchen! I just may now!! Thanks!

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh. My. I love them!

Amy M said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well hello doppelganger me! I was *just* thinking yesterday that after much rumination, the color I *really* want to paint my stools/chairs is turquoise! Then today my friend pinned this post and I love them!!!! And then I noticed we have the same floors....and nearly the same counters and walls. LOL I love your blog and will be reading it more often. :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Do you remember what the brand and name of the color the paint was? I am looking for a similar color.

Sundi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Anonymous it's devoe, mirrolac speed dry eggshell the color is hillside view

Stephaniewljm said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

AMAZING Sundi! I want to do something like this with the chairs in my kitchen! I just may now!! Thanks!

Angelica jolie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like the content of this blog. do enjoy the Kids Car Beds