Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Ruffled Skirt {cheater} Tutorial




 The fabric I used in these skirts are mostly from the Heather Bailey Nicey Jane fabric collection.  I LOVE the greenish yellows and turquoise.  It's such a fresh happy makes me want lemonade collection!

 This is going to be pretty short and sweet.  I posted a zillion pictures here of the Easter outfits that I made for my girls.  And promised a tutorial.  After I got looking at the horrid pictures I took of the process and after "pinteresting" around, I found a tutorial far better than the one I was about to present.  Trust me this tutorial from Grand Revival Design {click here} is PERRRRRFECT!!  I just have a few important things to add...{scroll down}



 After following all the steps you need to press and then top stitch over the ruffles {seen above}.  Trust me it turns out so much better and with a much more finished look.  It helps the skirt to not be so foofy.  Maybe you are thinking "what? isn't foofy good?"  Foofy is good if you are 3.  At any point after the age of 3 "foofy" can be slightly unflattering.  But that's just my opinion.



Here's a close up of the embellishments I added.   I used a wonderful ribbon from Joann Fabrics that was sort of a shoe lace type material.  It had the teeniest bit of stretch to it and I love it but I'm sorry I can't remember what it's called.  Just make sure you don't use a satin ribbon for this part. 

 I simply pinned the ribbon so that it was centered over the seem between the two fabrics and sewed a straight stitch all the way around the bottom and top of the ribbon overlapping the end and tucking it under.  {The picture should give you a pretty good idea}  The button is just a covered button that I stitched on.

TA DA! 

6 comments:

Casey said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it, I am going to have to make one for my daughter!

Julie Snow said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It looks like twill tape. And I love how it looks! You may want to visit me over at LoveItSewMuch.blogspot.com

Connie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Sundi: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, your new GF Friend. I would love it if you could stop by and be mine, too.
Thank you for sharing this skirt. You did a nice job. She looks adorable,

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is so darn cute! I love the colors.

grady williams said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have got the superb information from these blogs finally. http://www.donkeytees.com

deny lost said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great blog post! I don’t understand how long it will require me to obtain through all of them! clothesPakistani