Saturday, February 18, 2012

Embelished Bobby Pins {our favorite hair accessory}




I have been a little bit MIA lately I know.  I have a lot on my plate right now.  I just started teaching voice lessons again (for a season) so I will be a little busy with that until June.  I have sooo many things I love and love to do I find it so difficult to divide my time and efforts.  Anyone else have issues there?  I know I'm not the only one.  So you get it right? ;)

I thought I would share with you how to make our favorite hair accessory.  This project started out as an etsy shop and then I decided "what am I doing!!!?" I soooo don't want to do an etsy shop.  My fleeting etsy moment lasted about 3 days.

Let's start with what you need to know about bobby pins.  There is only ONE kind of bobby pin you should EVER buy, and you can't get them at Walmart!  I buy mine at Sally's beauty supply but you should be able to get professional grade bobby pins at any beauty supply store. Or I've created a link below where you can buy them on Amazon.  I'm telling you, you will NEVER go back!  They are usually cheaper and soooo much better!  They rarely stretch out and the hold your hair all day.  My personal favorite is the (here's the link)Marianna bobby pins.  The Supreme bobby pins are also pretty good but please don't buy Scunci or Conair or Goody or ANY of those ever again!  I promise you professional grade is the only way to go!  And I'm not talking just for this project, I'm talking about for any use of bobby pins.  Have I made my point?
 




HOW TO ATTACH THE BOBBY PINS:
 For most of the bobby pins we basically glued felt circles together  with a button or a bead of some sort on top.  I then took a small square piece of felt, slit it through until I hit the top of the bobby pin, put hot glue all over it and then pressed it onto the back of the circle.  Hopefully that makes sense.


For the button bobby pins, it's still all about the felt.  Nothing does better with hot glue than felt!  First off if the buttons had a little button whole on the back, I took some scissors (not your good ones) and snipped that baby right off. Now your working with an almost flat surface on the back side.  Then I glued a tiny piece of felt to the back of it.  Then I just attached the bobby pin the same way I explained above.

These bobby pins make great gifts for girly girls of all ages.  I wear these a TON in my own hair and my 3 girls wear them daily.  All three of them are starting to part their hair on the side but they are still too young to care enough about keeping it that way all day!  Know what I mean?  When I slide these bobby pins in their hair in the morning, they come home from school in the same place!  Score!  I love it!

Click here to see where I linked up!

20 comments:

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for sharing this! They look so great. I'll have to try making some for Zoe....some day.

Glad to see you're posting! :)

Justina F. Lee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are just absolutely adorable! They look so darling on the little girls! Part of me really hopes that I'll have a daughter instead of a son in the future...

Angie Ramirez said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Super CUTE!!! Thanks for the inspiration..

Found you on TT&J and would love for you to come by and link this up at my Create & Inspire Party! :)

http://www.littleinspiration.com/2012/02/create-inspire-party_17.html

Best Wishes,
Angie from ALI

Kristi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OH OH I love these... had I seen this earlier I would have discussed them with you! LOVE THEM!! and you of course and your amazingness....

Sunny Vanilla said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love how all of your bobbies turned out. The pom pom ones are really cute. Super adorable!!! Found you on tatertots and jello.

Consider me your newest follower :-) I'd love for you to come check me out too.

sunnyvanilla.blogspot.com

Take care,
Jen

Jazmine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are too cute! Perfect for my short hair.

-Jazmine
http://keepitkrafty.blogspot.com/

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are so fun and really easy. Love it! I'm going to have to try a felt flower since I have a felt obsession. Please share with my readers, too at my Made for You Monday linky http://www.clipwithpurpose.com/homemade-wooden-tops-made-for-you-monday-link-up-3/

VintageMauve.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Too cute! I desperately need to jazz up my bobbi pins (gotta hold the crazy curls, somehow!), and this is the perfect way to do it.

I hope you'll link up to my new link party!

Mauvin' Monday

Cheers,
Jessica

Shantalle@lifestylesofthestayathomemom.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are beautiful!

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are darling! I wish I could have thought about something like this for my daughter when she was younger :)

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are lovely! ...and so easy to make, too. Thanks for sharing your idea and explaining it so clearly!

SensationallySarah said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How fun! I can't wait to glitz up some of my bobby pins! Thank you for the inspiration!

Justine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Stopping by from the Girl Creative Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

southernscraps said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are all adorable!

Frazzled Mom of Five said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These look adorable in her long hair:) Glad to follow you over from Over the Moon!
~Jen @ frazzled five

Jill ~ Jillify It said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love them!! I would love it if you linked up at my party going on now! (It's my very first one!!)

Jill
www.jillifyit.com

AugustMagnolia said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are adorbs!!! I have tried making some for my daughter but I just hot gued the button to the pin...yeah, that lasted about two days. Thanks for the how to...I can't wait to go button shopping!!
{following along...}
Mae

jaydul mia said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love your shing-a-lings! And pants!
I wish I had your beauty and fashion knowledge. I like makeup but I never know what to do with them or what to buy in the first place.
beauty supply
Beauty Supplies
Cosmetics
nails
makeup

online florist said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tauheed Sohail said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lol and Funny, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com