Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Funky Shoe Lace Tutorial

 handmade shoelaces
Pin It


Do you ever get so overwhelmed with life and all the things you need to do that you just go and accomplish something else entirely?  Something that wasn't even on your to-do list, so that you can escape the reality of the "not fun" things?

Well these shoe laces were a result of that.  And you know what?  My girls aren't complaining.  They'd rather have funky shoelaces than a freshly mopped floor anyway!  My oldest and youngest girls (age 10 and 6) are all about the funky, mismatched, bright colors!  My Addy (in the middle) has a slightly different style which is absolutely wonderful as well.  I just love that they are getting old enough to know what they like and be able to express it.

We have a few dress rules around this house and they go like this...
1.  It has to be modest
2.  If you tell me you like it and will wear it, then you WILL wear it.
3.  Twice a week I get to pick what they wear, all other days are their choice.

Maybe it's lame that I choose what they wear twice a week but the way I see it, I don't buy or sew them anything they don't like.  If I do, then they tell me and I take it back.  So...if I've spent the money, I want to see it ON them.  Does anyone else have similar rules?  I've always wondered when I see adorable age 6+ girls all dolled up and perfect looking if their mother had to pay them to get them to wear that.  Or bribe them?  Or threaten them?  I hope not.  Or maybe the child just doesn't have an opinion and is easy going about it.

A penny for your thoughts please!!  I'm really curious.  And if your method is to "threaten" that's cool too, I won't judge.  :)

Ready for the tutorial already?

{Shoe lace Tutorial}

 1.  Take out previous shoe laces and measure them, then cut a strip the same length.  This strip was about 1 and 1/4 in. wide, and only a 1/2 in. wide as the finished shoe lace.  Put your iron on high steam and press like you see in the picture.
 2.  Press it again in half so there are no raw edges showing.
 3.  Sew a straight seem along the open edges all the way down both laces.
 Should look like this
4.  Finish the edges.  You can simply cut them at an angle like this... or tape the ends real tight.  I cut the edges first, then laced the shoes and then taped the ends when I was done.  I used medical tape which worked ok but I think a stronger clear tape would have been better.  Maybe packing tape?
That's it.  This is also a wonderful method for sewing any kind of sash or strap (minus the tape on the end).  I always use this method as an alternative to turning things inside out.  Blech!  I hate doing that!


Averi is also sporting some lace "Sock Toppers" more pictures and a tutorial can be found here.

Have a great day!  And if it's not such a great day, maybe you need to make it one by doing something unexpected and out of the ordinary........you know, not on your "list".

Speaking of lists, have you seen "Chaos Theory"?  I'm gonna to have to admit, I loved it. "I now make all decisions using index cards".  Not really, but I'm considering it.

Warning:  This movie is PG-13 and so is this trailer.

19 comments:

Kimber said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I would be lying if I say I never threatened. Mostly Ava, she picked out her school clothes and then when it was time to wear them she was like, "uh, I don't like that." I made her wear them anyway because I did spend the money on them. Ava sometimes has an opinion on what to wear. Savannah on the other hand will wear whatever I put in front of her. Very easy going. I like that. Darling shoe laces! Soo funky!

Sundi@ Life Of A Cheap Chickadee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks for sharing Kim. Now that you've said that, I realize that I threaten as well! Lol! Your story sounds just like my "school clothes" story this year! Man, are we at an AA meeting? ;) I love your comments Kim!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute Sundi! Pinned!!

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ACK! That is such a brilliant idea! This is one of those ideas that makes me wonder why no one has thought of it before and if they have why haven't I seen it??!! So. Cool. You are The Crafty Woman.

Wow....can't wait to make some of these....

Oh, and as for the clothes thing....each of my kids have one of those hanging clothes divider thingys in their closets. The boys fill theirs (it's not really too hard to put polo shirts, t-shirts and jeans together) but I do Zoe's, with her help. We put in two outfits in each slot and then she can pick out what she wants to wear. Sometimes she mixes and matches the outfits...but most of the time things look good together. Well. Maybe not MOST of the time. Some? of the time... :)

Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love your idea for the laces! I have piles and piles of leftover quilt binding that could be put to good use.

Crafty Mischief said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those are pretty much the cutest shoe laces ever! I love that you made them out of fabric. I have my kids lay out their clothes every night and every morning we still seem to have a power struggle! I threaten, I bribe, they whine and cry! I'm hoping it gets easier as they get older? Hoping? I found you through Craftomaniac. Thanks for sharing! :)

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My party just started and I'd LOVE to have you stop by and share this ~ TOTALLY cute!!! Love it!!!

Overflowing with Creativity

XO, Aimee

Chanelle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The socks look like "baby legs". You should totally do a tutorial for them because baby legs are a ripoff.

Lindsi B said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love this post! I found you on Tip Junkie! I would like to invite you to share this post with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

Tonia L said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love funky shoelaces! Yours turned out great! Thanks for sharing! ~Tonia @TheGunnySack.com

Judianne said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My child wore a school uniform in Elementary school and her hairbow was the only thing that was allowed to be individualized, as long as it was in the school colors. Believe me I learned to make bows real quick for her and her friends.

In Jr High and HS, there is a strict dress code, dress pants and collared shirts.

But on the weekend, it is her choice, as long as she is modest. I never buy anything that does not match the school dress code.

And if she wants something else, she pays for it herself, but still needs to remain modest. And no tone on tone (all black, blue, etc.)

My husband is a retired police officer and our kids have to pass his "want to be a gang member?" inspection daily.

~Beth D. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Shoelaces are great! I think my son is going to get some soon!

My nieces pick out their close for the week on Saturdays with Mommy. They hang them in the closet in an organizer. That way my sister knows what they are wearing and there is no fuss on school mornings. Genius!

Dana S. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love it!
Did you know you can buy the little plastic tips for shoelaces? I get them here: http://ribbonandbowsohmy.com/index.php?module=Catalog&action=ViewProduct&prod=407

Blessings--
Dana

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You know I totally LOVE this!!! Super CUTE!!! Thanks LOTS for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity!

XO, Aimee

PS Did you sign up for my giveaway yet!?!
Awesome Customizable Frames, Art & Home Decor

Finnskimo said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I let my 8 yr old wear whatever she wants. BUT It has to:
1. fit, she's extremely long!
2. be clean, and she does most of her own laundry.
3. be appropriate for the weather. Today it is -27 below zero and she wanted to wear a dress. I said no. So she wore pants, a long sleeved shirt and a dress on top. I don't mind that at all.

Her choice is to wear what she chooses or what I choose, and I always choose something like plain Jeans and a plain sweater. She likes to be funky and colorful, so she picks out clothes for herself. And if her laundry isn't washed and put away, she has to wear what I picked out. So 90% of the time she does her laundry so she can choose. :)

Natural Mothers Network said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Sundi! I love your post on funky shoelaces, what a great idea and so easy to make! My three daughters are too old now for me to dictate what they wear and sometimes, even now at 18, 16 and 13 they make mistakes and underdress when it's cold outside! Having said that i draw the line at tarty revealing stuff and put my foot down. my motto is the French one, reveal a little bit of the top or some leg, but not both!
I'm hosting a weekly linky over at Natural Mothers Network which is all about seasonal celebration and would love it if you popped over and linked this post! It would be great to introduce your blog to my subscribers! Seasonal Celebration Linky http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/seasonal-celebration-sunday/seasonal-celebration/ Really hope to see you there! Rebecca x

Natural Mothers Network said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sundi thank you very much for placing this post on Natural Mothers Network's linky: Seasonal Celebration! You helped make Seasonal Celebration a wealth of intelligent, creative and resourceful information and it's been such a pleasure for me and many others to read through each post. I am really looking forward to seeing you again Sunday evening or Monday! Rebecca x

Cool Shoelaces said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sundi, thanks for the lesson on how to make shoelaces! They look really cool, I will have to try that sometime.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

[url=http://aluejxfttk.com]UFhtGgz[/url] , aaBbAGqJRMffEE , http://pyfnknfrtw.com