Friday, January 20, 2012

My Vintage Valentine's Mantel {and a Bunting Tutorial}




Ever since I was a little girl I have loved lace and fluff and all things pink and girly.  I don't necessarily drape myself in lace and pearls, but I WOULD if it were socially acceptable.  

I have had this idea to decorate for Valentines Day using vintage cards and images for a few years now, in fact, ever since I ran across The Graphics Fairy.  Oh man, that is one fabulously handy blog.  I have never decorated for Valentine's Day (season) before on account of my slight distaste for the holiday, we barely celebrate it. I don't think we need to be told when to share our love, it should be shared everyday.  I do however adore love songs and books about love and romantic movies but for me Valentine's is really more about the pretty things that come with the holiday.......

ahhhhh pink, ahhhh pretty, ahhhh vintage (hold on I'm having a moment)................... 





Is it too girly?  The day I made and hung this banner my two year old son came upstairs wearing a pretty pink tutu.  Ooopsy.  He looked pretty stinken cute though!





Ok.  With that said (sorry to get so wordy on you all), this ridiculously simple project was one of those that I was worried wouldn't turn out like I wanted.  But instead turned out even more lovely than I had ever dreamed!  If you look closely at the pictures you could easily figure out how it was done on your own.  But here are some quick instructions anyway.


What you need:
A few yards of lace cut 1-3 inches in width
gluestick
creative edge cutting scissors (don't know the official name)
distressing ink
pretty scrapbook paper
a hole punch

I bought most of my cards from the dollar store (at 2 for $1) and printed a few from the Graphics Fairy blog.  There are 8 cards in my bunting.  I cut the cards down to suitable but still random sizes.  I then inked them, then glued them to some pretty scrapbook paper, then did my little creative cut around the edges and then inked that.  I then set them all out how I wanted them to look, hole punched the top two corners of each card and then laced the lace (or ribbon) through.  I had to cut and tie the lace a few times but I love how that adds to the look.

My opinion.  You didn't ask, but your getting it anyway ;)
This is my philosophy on decorating for different holidays while still matching your existing decor. My decor is already pretty eclectic and colorful so matching is not much of a problem for me although it IS well thought out.  For each holiday I use the colors that traditionally go along, but add a color from my existing decor that doesn't usually accompany that holiday.  In this case I incorporated blue. And used the same hues that were already existing in this room.  Make sense?  If I were to decorate for St. Patrick's Day, (which I'm not), I wouldn't use the dark bright green traditionally used, I would use an olive or yellowy green and maybe some silver and add a teeny weeny bit of blue.




I will be back soon with a fluffy lace heart tutorial and lots of other great Valentine's ideas!


23 comments:

Kimber said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love ALL your ideas!

Mariam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love it all! Especially the mirrors with the letters. Can't wait for the fluffy heart tute.

shopannies said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

super cute love the look and I believe I would put a vintage spin on one as well come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Melissa @ LoveBugLiving said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very cute! Your blog background is so fun too!

Melissa
www.lovebugliving.com

cathhasablog@gmail.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Such a beautiful idea! I actually have all the Valentine's cards my mom and dad gave to each other, I think I'll use those, which will be especially special because my mom recently passed away. Thanks for sharing...you have a gorgeous blog! I am now your new loyal follower!! :) If you have a chance, please swing by my blog (and say hello!) and if you like it, I would love if you would follow me back! :) Cath at Home is Where my Heart is: http://cathhasablog.blogspot.com/

Buffie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So very pretty! I just love all your ideas and your blog!
I'm your newest follower!

Buffie
http://papercuts4u.blogspot.com

Karen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am a new follower and am so happy I found your blog at TT&J! Your vintage valentine's banner is adorable! Love your cute blog:)

Patti said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is so sweet...also love the initials in frames!
Please stop over to enter my giveaway for digital scrapbook software!

hannah singer said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

cute project, sundi! love it!

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Loving all the fun Love Day decor! And super impressed you're so on the ball. Great ideas! :)

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great job. I love it all! I hope you will link up to my I Heart Projects Party!
http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/01/i-heart-projects-linky-party.html

april@gingerbread said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love your creative space! I am your newest follower! i hope you willcome and link up over here:
thegingerbreadblog.com

Ashley said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very pretty!! =)

Eve Stein said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Adorable! - And thanks for the link to the Graphics Fairy... I'll check that out. :D

Chanelle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it! I actually saw this pic on pinterest and thought, "Huh, that's cute. Looks like something Sundi would do" And it was! I now get what M & S stand for :)

Michelle Paige said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Just beautiful! Would you be willing to link this up to my Valentine Link Party going on now? I'd love to have you! Thanks, Michelle
http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/01/rockin-valentine-valentine-link-party.html

Michelle Paige said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks so much for linking up! I love your beautiful mantle.

Sundi@ Life Of A Cheap Chickadee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@cathhasablog@gmail.com I think that might be the awesome-ist thing I've heard! I hope you do it! I wish I had love notes from my parents. What a treasure!

Vanessa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I featured your mantel on my blog, it's so pretty! Feel free to grab a "featured on" button :)

cheapcraftymama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love your mantle, so sweet and pretty! I would love it if you would link up to my Valentines Party @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

Jennifer @Miss Maggie's Place said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am loving this! I want to make one too! :)Dollar Tree here I come.

www.miss-maggiesplace.com

Michelle Paige said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I featured your idea today!

Lindsi B said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I found you on Tip Junkie. Would you please share this with my readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays Valentine's Linky Party? I think it would be a great fit. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays.html