Monday, January 2, 2012

Making Old Things Into New {Loni's House}

I Don't even know where to start with this.  I've spoken about my sister in law, Loni before in this post here.  She has a lovely home and mad skills.  I'm not feeling very wordy today so I'll just let the pictures tell (most) of the story...
These wreaths were made using pipe insulator for the base and then she used hot glue to hand gather (no sew) some basic muslin.  I am partial to simple wreaths.  I think the colorful ones are so fun for holidays and such but to go on the wall full time I'm loving this look!  And the birds and the nest?  Winning!  Loni used some old flower plaques she didn't like anymore and painted over them.  She used a mirror from family dollar for the big wreath in the middle but painted over it and then glazed in the cracks. 
I don't even know where to start with this chair!  Again she used muslin and upholstery pins!  She glued buttons to the end of some of them and just went wild.  She also used some straight pins.  BUT.....no glue and no sewing!  I literally couldn't contain my scream when I saw this!  So cheap, easy and elegant!!




Simple Styrofoam balls  covered in yarn and twine

An old clock with a new paint job, framed sheet music and fabric.  Lovely.

Here are a few books recovered, a vase with a new paint job, a canvas covered in fabric and, some balls covered in fabric (my balls, can I have them back now?  How is it that they look cuter in her house? ;))

AND....these cute little picture blocks.  You know how a few years back there were about a million word blocks floating around painted in some hideous (sorry) burgundy color with words like "live, laugh, love"?  You know the ones?  You received them for your wedding or made them at Super Saturday......Well she took those, painted them, mod podged paper on top and now they are creative little photo holders!  Pretty cute.  These are pictures of her, her husband and her son all at the same age (ish).

Lastly, this is my favorite place in the house but I couldn't show you it all when I took the photos because it was covered in Christmas stuff.  So....I'll have to come back to this one.  I just wanted to point out the cute little button heart in a frame.  I gave her that frame as well and now that it's cute I would like to reclaim it.  I'm totally kidding, I would never do that.  I think it's an adorable Valentines idea!  So, the moral of the story is, if you think your house needs new everything maybe you just need to give it a paint job or switch things around a bit.  Or.....at least try the thrift store first before you spend your life's savings. 


6 comments:

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Loved the tour! Some really cute ideas! :)

Kelli said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Okay, I really really want a tutorial for the muslin re-upholstery job. I have a chair just like that and I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. That looks so easy and fabulous!

Buffie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for your post! So many great pictures and a TON of great ideas.

Love your blog
Buffie
http://papercuts4u.blogspot.com

Mariam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love all of it!

Sugar Mama Bakeshop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a pretty home. I love all of those ideas!!

Chanelle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my! I love her style and colors she's got going on. Definitely making a mental note of this for the future.