Tuesday, December 27, 2011

No Sew Table Runner



Last month I did a guest post for "Over the Big Moon" and I thought it would be perfect for today.  Why?  Because if your like me, then when you take all your Christmas Decorations down, you may be feeling a little bit empty.  AND a little bit awesome too because WOW all the clutter is gone!  I don't do spring cleaning, I do January cleaning.  It just comes natural to me to want to deep clean, organize and re-decorate (just a smitch) after Christmas. If only it came natural to me all year long, we'd be in business!

So in light of new things, let's go ahead and put a new table runner on shall we?


Here's my "no sew (or sew if you wan to) personalized table runner"

All you need is:
a 1/2 yard of muslin
lots of hot glue
some lace or trim
your printer
and this stuff....found at Joan Fabrics for only .79 a yard!  It's some sort of burlap :)
Basically you just need to cut two squares of your muslin (or whatever shape you fancy) and hot glue them together.  I sewed mine together like a pillowcase but it's not necessary.

Then hot glue the lace around the edges........

Then glue the burlap ribbon on top of that.  You could miter the corners of the burlap if you want that quilted border look.  I simply overlapped mine.  I feel like it has a sort of vintage school days feel.  Which is great since we mainly use our table for doing homework!

Are you ready for the best part?  Here's how I printed on the muslin.....


After printed, I cut out the text with pinking sheers and antiqued the edges with some scrapbooking ink.  Then I just hot glued it to the corner of my table runner.  And Voila!  Your done.

I want to point out that this project was done with a regular cheapy Epson printer and regular ink...oh and of course, regular paper!  So you shouldn't even have to go to the store for this part!  Yaaaay I love not leaving the house!  :)

If you are wondering how I made the balls in the basket, I just bought balls in a two pack from the dollar store and then wrapped them in long torn strips of white and cream colored fabric, then hot glued.

I chose to share this tutorial with ya'll today because this project has so many possibilities!  Speaking of possibilities.....here are a few links to other projects I've done using this print on fabric procedure.

Personalized Stockings

Love Note Pillow

I'd like to thank  Pam and Lisa from "Over the Big Moon"  again for inviting me to do this guest post on their blog.  I adore Pam.  Not only is she uber creative and well........giving, she was supportive and kind to me when I started out blogging (not that long ago) and when I needed it most!  She continues to help me with my constant questions with REALLY helpful advice and...I'm not sure that she has really benefited from it!  Crap! I need to make her something!  As for Lisa, I'm excited to get to know her better.  Cause it seems to me, like she is made of awesome sauce as well!  Keep the awesomeness coming girls!


4 comments:

Beth @ Hungry Happenings said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Clever idea. I love that you can personalize this project.

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Super cute! And I know what you mean. I'm ready to give my whole house a complete overhaul. Can I just burn it down and start over? :)

Jen @ craftincowgirl.blogspot.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Super cute!!!

Titus 2 Work in Progress said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute! I would never had thought to print on burlap that way. Thanks for the new trick! I'm a new follower too :)