Monday, November 21, 2011

Sock Toppers! {picture me screaming like I just won on The Price Is Right, that's how excited I am!!}

Warning!  The information contained in this post may change your life forever.....
 Aren't these cute!  I was sitting in my sewing room, about to concoct me up some new pretty socks, when I spied some elastic sitting next to my machine.....then, like angels singing, it came to me!  SOCK TOPPERS with an elastic!  Then I won't have to decide what color lace to do with which sock? and...Will they wash well? and...will they stay up?  and...Where should I attach them?  and...How bad do I really want to ruin a perfectly good pair of socks?  I'm telling you what.....sock toppers are the way to go! 
 AND...they are soooo much easier!
 With so much more possibility!

Here comes the tutorial......
 This is the other part that may change your life (in case you missed the first part, it was the idea of sock toppers!  Sheesh!)  Are you ready cause you are either going to say "Sundi you are brilliant!" OR "Seriously Sundi, your disgusting, and when it comes to cheap chickadees, you are TOO cheap!!"  Probably the latter, but I'm ok with that.

See this elastic in the picture above?  It's cut off from some old underwear!  Yup.  In my opinion, it's a wonderful way to recycle.  All underwear are different, some have super stretchy pretty elastic, some thick (like my husbands), some lacy, some thin.  Depending on what you are looking for in your elastic, any of it will work.  And please don't tell me that your underwear doesn't have elastic....It does!  Otherwise they would be around your ankles right now!  I've been stealing elastic from my husbands under garments for a while now.  I use it in making skirts for my girls!

So basically, I measured my leg with the elastic, making sure it would fit comfortably and then I stretched/pulled it as much as I possibly could as I sewed on the lace (don't stretch the lace, just feed it through).  Then I attached the two ends and that's basically it!! 
 See?  The possibilities are endless!  Add a button, add a bow, use your favorite fabric to make a ruffle!  Go crazy!  These would make lovely Christmas gifts!!
If only I had the photoshop skill to make my legs look a little less like a half cooked pastry........

Be sure to click on the "linky party" link at the top of the page to see where I linked up and most importantly to see other creative projects!

24 comments:

Vicki Smith said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ver cute!

Loni said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sundi, they featured these socks on u-create! Its on,my blog if you want to go look. Hooray!

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ack! You're right. This IS life-changing. What a great idea! :)

Kristi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

EEEEEEK That is my scream of excitment!! AGAIN I WANT 900!! and your legs look amazing as always!

Jess@Balancing The Dream said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

so incredibly cute!!! I'm pinning now!!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just saw some of these on an Etsy shop with buttons that I about ordered... but now I'll just make them (if I ever find time)!! hehe :)

Thanks!

Pam
www.overthebigmoon.com

Kimber said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are so cute, I can't get enough of your brilliant ideas! You are so famous too. Hey, I know a famous person :)

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love love love this idea! So creative. I am your newest follower :) Would love for you to stop by my blog too.

Christine @ Projects Around the House

Mel M. M. McCarthy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much for sharing the sock toppers tutorial. I know someone who will LOVE this so much(and it's one for you, one for me kind of present!) Our wardrobes just got 100% cuter. ;-)

Trista said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I adore these! I am very much a minimal sewer, but this is worth getting some string and a needle to make! I am learning to use a machine, until then, I will make something like this work!! BTW - The underwear stretchies is hysterical!! Nothing is too good when it is laundry recycled!! :)

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ohhhh my goodness that is such a great idea !!! Sooo cute!

Katie @ The Crafty Blog Stalker said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are so stinkin' cute! I want a pair of my own. I would love love for you to link up at Blog Stalking Thursday! http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2011/11/blog-stalking-thursday-17.html

Karyn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are darling!! I would love to have you link up @ my blog this week.
http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-makes-you-say-mmmmm-linky-creamy.html

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Featuring you tomorrow during Sticker Time!

Thnak you So much for Sharing!

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i love them. definitely going to have to make some! thanks for the idea.

Hanni said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

very lovely idea!

OhioMomPatriot said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ingenious! I was just about to toss some undies, but now first I will strip the elastic! I am going to make some of these for my daughter, today. They will make perfect stocking gifts. Thanks for sharing!

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How clever & darling. I love them with boots! Thank you for sharing this great idea.

Warmly, Michelle

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for sharing I'll be featuring you today.

Tattered & Timeless said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wonderful idea..I am going to make some for my daughter and myself. I can wear this at 45 right?
tammy

April said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

love this idea!

Wendys Hat said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Cute! I loved making things like this when my girls were young.

Megan {ShabbyBlogs} said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Holy brilliant!!!!!

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOVE this idea, I've been racking my brain trying to think of something like this, awesome sauce!