Monday, November 14, 2011

Dollar Hat Refashion Tutorial


  Remember this hat?  Of course you do!!  It's time for the "Dollar Hat Refashion Tutorial"  Just wait till you see how easy this is!  You will be crafting and gifting these babies to every gal you know!




I hope you can see the text on these pictures!  I thought I'd try something new with my tutes.  Do you like?  Or is it just annoying to have the words on the pictures?  Do tell!  I AIM to please and be helpful :)







Here's the thing about these hats.  I love that you can make them fit however you want.  Long or short for those from 1 to 92 (that's right I'm already hearing chestnuts in my head!)


For the flowers (I have attached some great flower making links at the bottom), I just layered all different kinds of random fabric circles.  I used felt, knit, lace and felt balls.  I glued the layers together with a very hot glue gun and then squeezed the bottom of the flower, while the glue was still hot, to make it pucker and pull up.  I did that every time I added a new layer.


I also feel I should share that when I started this project, I thought it was going to be a total bust!  I added one flower and hated it, then added another, then some leaves (which by the way are from some cut up Christmas morn pj pants!), then added some more leaves on the other side, a felted ball and some buttons AND FINALLY..........I was in LOVE!!!!!!  So give it a try, it's a fast project so it's ok if you take an extra minute to make sure you get everything placed just right and looking adorable!


For this hat I did the exact same thing only I added a strip of lace around the whole hat.  The lace HAS TO BE STRETCHY!  Otherwise you won't be able to get your head in after you have attached it.  I sewed one strip of white lace and didn't love it, so I sewed another strip of cream colored lace (both stretchy) over top, then tied the two colors in with the flower. 

I hope I came through with my "it's easy I promise" promise!  Here are some great flower tutorials for your viewing pleasure. Head over to Smart Shopping Ladies to get some coupons and view my guest post in their homemade gift series. 

t shirt flower from {A Bit Of Sunshine}


another great "no sew" flower from {House of Smith's}


ric rac flowers from {Craftiness is not Optional}


rosette video tutorial from {Cherry Street Cottage}
 


17 comments:

Kimber said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love, love, love!

Jana said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

love it! And I like the new tutorial with words on the pictures too.

redfly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute!! Love it! Way to make the ordinary become extraordinary.

Becoming a follower to keep up on your other great projects and ideas.

If you get a chance sometime, you'll have to stop by my blog.

Melissa
redflycreations.blogspot.com

Kennedy Klan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks! Love this great idea and the pic's with the words on them was a good idea! I can't wait to get a bit of time and try one of these out! And did you get the hats at Dollar tree of family dollar?? just wondering to save some $ :) thanks

Sundi@The Life Of A Cheap Chickadee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for your comment "Kennedy Klan", I couldn't click over to your blog to answer your question so I guess I'll answer it here, I got the hats at the Dollar Tree. So, yea only $1! Let me know how they turn out :)

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love the tutorial. I think the collage of pictures is great. It takes up less space and works well.

Really love this hat. And feel the need to drop everything I'm doing and make one for my noggin'! :)

The Calico Crew said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You might be right...I might be able to do this! You make a dang good model for the hat, by the way! I think I need to make one for a White Elephant gift this Christmas! Thanks Sundi!

D said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Fantastic idea, I love it! The collage picture work very well, love how you made them look like Polaroids. I'll need to make one for myself.

Kennedy Klan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks sundi :)

Robin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love how the zigzag stich makes it ruffle. What a great idea. I host a weekly upcycling party and would love it if you linked this project up. http://tinyurl.com/upcycled71

The Cranky Queen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am in love with these caps that you made & thank you so much for the tutorial and additional info blogs on making rosettes. I am your newest follower. YOU ROCK! Visit me sometimes over at my blog palace! Tiffany

Robin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it! Thank you so much for sharing it at www.thetshirtdiaries.com

Jen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute! Thank you for each of the links you added to the party! ~Jen

Wendys Hat said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Really cute! I love what you've done with it. Fun to do!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

dating argentine man http://loveepicentre.com/ online dating sites for pets lovers

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi all
I'm Mary, 27 years old :)
I am looking for good man. If he exists...
I'm love sport and... Hope you understand

[img]http://loveepicentre.com/uploades/photos/30375.jpg[/img]

www.blogger.com is very interesting forum for me, so I think we have the same hobbies
So lets chat...
My e-mail is marypopovaks@gmail.com, Skype *
Send me your foto!

__
Added later:

This photography is corrupted, sorry!

Oh, and all my photos here:
http://loveepicentre.com/user/Popova

online florist said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I will actually appreciate the writer’s selection for choosing this excellent article appropriate to my subject.Here is deep description about the article affair which supported me more.
singapore florist