Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wednesday's Wisdom {Tips and a tute to make ruffling easier}

Alright......I'm already regretting my promise to give you all tips and a tutorial on ruffling.   Writing is just sooo much harder than talking and showing.  I know, I know I'm stating the obvious. You can find my original post on this shirt here.

Ok, let's rock......

1.  Choose imperfection.  Ruffling/gathering is so hard to get uniform.  A Lot of the ruffles I see in the stores these days are random and imperfect ON PURPOSE.  If you chose "randomness" instead of perfection before you start, you will feel better about the end result and you will achieve it much quicker.

2.  Use knit.  That way you don't have to hem....AT ALL.  Woohoo!  knits and t shirt fabrics and a few other blends don't fray.  That takes a lot of time off right there.

3.  Tools to help gathering easier.  I have a gathering foot.  I keep it right by my machine in a case with that little screw driver next to it so that it won't be a pain to get out.  My machine is a Baby Lock so I have a Baby Lock brand foot.  It was only 12.00 but I know they sell generic gathering feet at fabric stores and such for even less.  For this particular project I didn't even use my special foot.  I just set the tension to it's highest ( which was 9), and set my stitch length at it's highest (which was 5).  Then...all I had to do was sew in a straight line along the edge of the fabric strip and the fabric gathered all by itself.  The different materials gathered differently but I like it.  All part of the randomness.

4.  Pleat, pucker and smoosh where needed to save time and effort.  On this project, as well as most things we add a ruffle to, I was attaching it in a continuous circle.  I saved time by estimating how long the ruffle should be, then attaching it into a continuous circle while pleating, pinching, smooshing or stretching as I went along to make it fit just right.  Make sense?  The circumference of the ruffle was not the same as the circumference of the shirt, I just made it work.

5.  Don't measure.  As you will see in the picture below I didn't measure my long strips of fabric before I cut.  As long as you have a pretty straight edge on one end you can just fold the fabric about 4 or 5 times, make sure the edges line up and then cut straight for about 6 inches.  I can handle that!!  It's the cutting straight for a few yards that I have a hard time with.


 Okey dokey folks.  That's all I can tell you about ruffling.  If there is an easier, lazier, quicker way of doing things, you can bet I'm going to figure out what that is and cruise along the easy road!

I am IMPERFECTION at it's finest!

For this shirt I bought a long t shirt and randomly attached ruffles a little under the sleeve.  I think it would be cute to attach right at the belly button or at the bottom as well.  If the shirt isn't very long you could just attach some plain fabric to the bottom or make the bottom ruffle longer.  I hope this makes sense.  My compulsive urge to be an imperfectionist is making this tutorial very IMPERFECT. 

See the randomness?  Now go put a ruffle on something!

 Featured At Serenity Now


33 comments:

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I do declare that is the cutest shirt I have ever laid my eyes on. I will be making several of them as well as one for my self in skirt form. I love your tutorial... it was most informative.

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oh, and p.s. apparently I do not have my own account so I will be posting mysteriously under the name of Bailey.

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great tips :) You did an awesome job on this. I'm super impressed. You continue to amaze me, girl.

McOmberFam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love it! Great job Sundi! If you don't want to write it all out, next time, just video tape yourself and put it on youtube for us. :-)

Mike and Shan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I found your blog from Pinterest. I LOVE IT!!

Desiree @ The 36th Avenue said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is way cute!

I would love for you to share it at my link party.I hope to see you there!

http://www.the36thavenue.com/2011/11/super-easy-pumpkin-cookies-party-time.html

cookieandclaire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

"pinned" this - hope it brings some traffic your way! Congrats on being featured on Tip Junkie!

Holy Craft said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just pinned this. It's so adorable! I love love love it!

Rachel
http://www.holy-craft.blogspot.com

Sally said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So,SO cute!! It turned out adorable. I love ruffles. I'm your newest follower.
Sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey There! Just saw this and am dying to make it for my daughter :) Did you cut the t-shirt to add the ruffles? or did you just sew them to the shirt?

Sundi@The Life Of A Cheap Chickadee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I added ruffles to the already existing shirt. It was kind of a long shirt :)

Desiree @ The 36th Avenue said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'll be featuring you today... Feel free to button-up!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very cute! I hate cutting straight, too. You might try using a straight-edge and a rotary cutter for cutting instead of scissors. It makes such a nice, crisp edge to work with. I still make the distance shorter by folding the fabric over on itself, like you mentioned. But it's definitely quicker, cleaner, and less frustrating. ;-)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How did you attach the top piece of fabric to the shirt to tie the bow in the back?

Sundi@ Life Of A Cheap Chickadee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm picky about things washing well so I didn't attach the sash. Is that what your asking about? I just take it off when I'm ready to wash. You could attach it if you wanted by sewing the sash to the front of the bodice and leaving the back loose. Hope that helps :)

Summer said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks so much for sharing. I made one for my daughter tonight and love it! Embracing the imperfection from the get go took a lot of the pressure off. Great tip! Plus, I love the fact that I could cover up errors with just another layer ruffles.

alane said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YOU ARE A HOOT! I loved this tut..
I am from the old school of sewing and I think it is GREAT that you young whipersnappers are figuring out an easier way to do things.
Thanks for taking the time to show us how to do it....
my grand daughters will love these shirts!!

Andrea said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Pinned it and planning to make a couple for each of my daughters!

Renzanity said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've been dreaming of doing something similar for my daughter for MONTHS! I finally did it and it came out so great. Thank you for the inspiration!

I linked your blog to mine in the post. You deserve the credit!

Sass

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I know I pinned this a while back, but I still love it! I hope you will consider adding this, and other sewing tutorials / patterns you may have, to the new sewing directory I am creating over at SewSet.

Thanks so much!
- Jessica
www.sewset.com

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I LOVE this shirt SO SO SO much! Do you make these to sell? If not, you should!

julie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i want to buy one!!!!! please sell this on etsy!!!!

Melissa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey I know I great ruffling technique! Basically, you use some string (I've even used fine yarn) And you use your widest zig zag stitch and then sew OVER the cording (but not catching it in the stitch) with the zig zag stitch and then bunch the fabric all along the string. Voila!

Davidumox said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i want to buy one!!!!! please sell this on etsy!!!!

Sew Exhausted said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is an adorable idea! My 12 year old daughter would love this. I have also been trying to figure out how to make a mermaid costume and I think this concept would work perfectly with a skirt, ruffling up some of those pretty sequined fabrics on it! Thanks for the great idea, I am excited to start following your blog! :)

Mae said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love this!! I just finished one for my best friend's niece! I wish I could tag the picture here I put it on Instagram "maebkins" thanks so much for the tutorial!!!

tami said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Cutest shirt, like EVER! I will be gettin to work on a few of these for my mini me soon. I love the lace you used...any ideas where I could look to snag myself some?! Thanks momma! :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

the key reasons why blog website is simply prevalent
http://jumpingforfunaroundtheworld.com/node/388756/
http://mediamira.qualmedia.ro/node/372049
http://dukeaward.ca/node/75051

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is my first time visit at here and i am in fact pleassant to
read all at alone place.

my blog post - http://mercenariesofblood.com/mobwiki/index.php?title=Ideas-For-A-Dynamic-Online-Marketing-Strategy

Erin Biggers said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I found your blog through this adorable tutorial on pinterest but I'm a new follower because I can't stop finding things to read. Great blog!
-Erin @ www.craftybiggers.com

Courtney Rubino said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I LOVE THIS!
I would love to share it on my blog. Also would love to know if you do features or reviews of boutiques....
you can check mine out at www.lamiabellaboutique.com

Katie J. Chiaramonte said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This shows my sewing novice, but what kind of lace did you use so it's soft but doesn't fray? Do they make a knit lace? katie.chiaramonte@gmail.com

grady williams said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have got the superb information from these blogs finally. http://www.donkeytees.com