Sunday, October 16, 2011

The "Baby Thoughts" Quilt


This is Addy.  She loves anything minky.  When she was a wee little one she used to sleep with a scrap of red minky dot fabric that a nice old lady at the fabric store let her have for free.  For her seventh birthday I decided to make her a quilt with it.  I don't know what I was thinking because I DON'T quilt...or at least I never had before.  As I was looking around for tutorials and such, I found this adorable quilt with a link to a tutorial.  I had read in a few places that you can't do rag quilts with minky, only to use flannels and cotton....BUT I had seen a few cute ones on etsy so I thought, "the heck with it!  I'm doing it".  

P.S.  The tutorial is a really good one and was much easier than I thought.  You just need a basic sewing machine and maybe the help of a super sweet neighbor like I had......... 
I also decided that since I was making it "special", I should use some of her baby clothes for the squares.  I had so much fun with it! I even got choked up a few times going through those old clothes.  She was such a sweet little toddler. 

I didn't follow any real pattern except for a strange pattern that I always follow in my head when putting fabrics together. Here it is... I basically try not to put two of the same color right next to each other, I also try to alternate the dark and light fabrics as well as busy and plain patterns. If there are two extremely different shades of one color I put them on opposite ends of the project and try to find a pattern that brings both of them together.  Make sense?  People are always asking how I put fabric together and that's basically how I do it. Sorry, I wish I had an actual formula.  I'm a bit of a non conformist in that I would NEVER buy a charm pack and I would NEVER buy two matchy matchy fabrics from the same line to go in a skirt or something.  I'm weird that way, I don't like people telling me how it "should" look, or what "goes" together.  I decide.  My scrappy projects usually end up crazy and I ALWAYS love them.

If you are a matchy matchy person then that is SUPER!  Sometimes I wish I was more that way.  Just don't ask me for advice unless you want to hate what you make.  Wow, I'm taking a really long time to get to the point here.

When choosing which baby clothes to add to the blanket I chose 

Clothes that would match the rest of the fabric
Clothing that had special meaning or that she wore at special times
Clothes that weren't faded and stained


I also put a few "secret pockets" on the quilt for her to hide things in, keep her hands warm, or for me to hide love notes in.

















Above are pictures of her in some of the clothing I used.  The top is her Easter dress.  I also used her favorite Mickey Mouse shirt that she wore to Disneyland, the shirt she wore to the hospital to see her new baby sister and a few others from when she was an eensy babe.  Oh how I miss those squishy cheeks and the way she couldn't say her r's.


She is still just as sweet now as she was then.  She really is such a help and a good friend to me....

As you can imagine it was a big hit!  Her sisters started asking right away when they would get a "baby thoughts" quilt (they came up with the name).

Averi's birthday was next and she just received hers.  It's completely different than Addy's so I will post about it soon.

Now I just need to start on Lydia's quilt.  Her birthday is November 5 so I better get crackin!! I also need to add on to Addy's to make it a little bigger.  I only wish I had planned on doing this all along and I would have actually saved their clothes instead of giving them all away.  I already had to track a few friends down and reclaim some of the clothes I had given them, (I know rude right?)

Moral of the story:  Save at least a few special items from your kids baby years.  You never know when you might have a project for them.




8 comments:

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute! I love that you are making these for your girls. Such a fun idea. And I never would have thought of it! I'm going to have to start putting things aside for my girls. Thanks for sharing! :)

Mellissa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That turned out really cute. I've always loved the rag quilts, but I am not a project/sewing/crafty kind of gal, so I'm just going to live through your craftiness! Hope that's okay. And I'm a thrower-awayer, so I have hardly anything from baby years for my kids. It's too bad because my daughter would love this! Oh well!

Dacia said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So adorable! I totally use the same logic when I put things together too. Some of my most favorite things are the ones where I used stuff that you would never think to put together. Now I want to make a quilt for my girls. I wish I wouldn't have given away so much of my older girls stuff.

The Funderburks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sundi, that quilt is amazing! Love your talent. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. Please, feel free to pin away!

Kelli said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh I love that! I will definitely be saving Kin's clothes to do this. I've made a rag quilt before but I LOVE the way your's turned out with all the different patterns and colors. So cute!

Oh, and my blog is prettylilposies.blogspot.com. I don't really blog anymore but you're welcome to check it out anyways. I'll add your link cause people still check my blog a lot even though I haven't blogged in ages!

Sorry I cancelled on you today. Hopefully we'll catch you next week. I have to come see all these crafty things you've been up to in person!
-Kelli

Kimber said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is seriously so cute. I was just going through all my baby clothes to give away and feeling sad because I am not having anymore. This is such a darling idea! I don't even know how to do anything like this. You are genius.

Misa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love this quilt! I actually googled hiding things in quilts (because I'm a writer and this is a plot element in my new dressmaking mystery) and this post came up! Just perfect to help me clue my sleuth in, but also very inspirational. I hope to make one for my daughter :)

Lovely blog!

{northern cottage} said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i've just found your blog & am ADORING it! Great projects! this quilt is definitely on my to do list...i've been hoarding special tshirts and outgrown clothes for a year now for both my kiddos and wanted to do a quilt....yours is GORGEOUS...tell me - how did you get the white rag part to show only (& not the wrong side of your squares?) looks like ruffles - seriously darling! xoxo

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com