Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ruffle Pants Tutorial...... (finally)

I got a little carried away with the pictures...
shhh, she's meditating.....









Ok, I'm finally dong it!! The "Ruffle Pants Tutorial". Most of you are thinking " there can't be much to it, put a ruffle on some pajama pants and we are done. Wrong! There is one VERY important step that most people miss when putting a ruffle on....Don't worry, I'll point it out when we get there :) If you already know what your doing, just skip to step 6 and 7.

Step 1. Find a pajama pant pattern you like, or make your own pattern. Here is a tutorial I really like on making your own pattern and she also walks you through the steps of putting the pants together. We all have different ways of sewing pj pants, any way will work. I personally bought a simple child's pattern at Walmart for 2 bucks. When cutting out my pants I folded the pattern right below the knee because I wanted mine to be capris. I think full ruffle pants are adorable as well though!! Follow the pattern right up until you hem the bottom of the pants.

Step 2. Figure out how long you want your ruffle to be, then cut two strips of fabric (one for each leg) twice the width of each leg.

Step 3. Sew the strips together at the side seems.

Step 4. Ruffle your strips (which should now each be attached into one continuous round and should each be twice the width of one leg). If you don't know how to ruffle, google it, there are lots of tutorials and it's a skill that is a MUST have! Gather your strips until the gathered end is the same width as the bottom of the pant leg.

Step 5. Pin the right side of your ruffle to the right side of your pants. The gathered end and the raw end of your pants should be lined up. As shown in the picture below. Sew a straight stitch all the way around. Do this on both legs.


Step 6. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART! After you have attached the ruffle, press the seem REALLY good! (p.s. I hope it's not confusing you that these pictures were taken after the pants were already done).


Step 7. EQUALLY IMPORTANT, top stitch over the seem you just pressed. A simple straight line (as close to the edge as you can get) will do.


Step 8. Hem the bottom of the now ruffled and fluffled pants! If you want you can do this step very first, right after you cut the strips. It's really up to you. Your done!



Sometimes I like to add a tie in the front. I just attached a ribbon (not shiny please) to these. I folded it in half a little bit randomly and then attached it to the pants by sewing a straight line over the fold.




And sometimes I like to add a tag in the bottom corner as well. Lately I have been using some bird fabric I got at Joann's for my tags. "Put A Bird On It"!! On these (above) I also sewed a few zig zag lines directly across the elastic to keep the elastic in place. They fit REALLY well!

The reason the "important part" is SOOO important is because this simple step makes the ruffle look better, wash better and it helps so the ruffle doesn't flip up. It helps the ruffle to "hang" instead of go all wonky and such. Make sense?

And there you have it! Please let me know if my tutorials SUCK! I promise I won't feel bad. I know I'm lazy when it comes right down to it. Please comment me if you have any questions!
Somewhat Simple

9 comments:

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So cute! ugh. I can't believe I still haven't made any of these for my girls.

The tute was completely Non-Suckish. :) Great job!

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ok. I just can't stand it any longer. You're twisting my arm here. Must. Make. Ruffled. Pants. NOW.

I love the new pics you added (and the old ones). I love those plaid ones! And the striped ones. And the....wow. They're all just so stinkin' cute.

And, yes, let's go catch a movie. I think I'm good to go for a late movie any night next week...except Monday. It's our Anniversary. :)

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are darling! And I thought the tutorial was easy to follow. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve.

just jayma said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Are these darling ruffle pants all made from knit? I'm still scared of knit...LOL

The Stuff of Success said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I definitely need to make some of these for my daughter. Please consider linking to next week's Success U - Wednesday Linkup Party at www.thestuffofsuccess.com. Have a Happy New Year

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I will have to attempt to make some of these for my 5 year old. By the way.... I LOVE the fabric in your pics that are the wicker seat cushions! I just bought the exact same pattern as a complimentary fabric as I "renovate" my craft room.

Windy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I don't have a little girl to make these for, but Im going to make a couple pairs in a size Mom. I do a lot of hula hooping/hoop dancing and these will add a little fun flair to my outfits! Thanks for posting this tutorial!

susan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just found this tutorial on pinterest. i wanted to tell you that those stripes are stinkin cute! I'm not a ruffly person, but I have made ruffly capris :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Please let me knoω if you're looking for a writer for your weblog. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd lovе to write some content fοr уour
blog in еxсhange for a link bacκ to mine.
Please blast me аn email if interested. Thanks!
Feel free to surf my website ; diamond titanium rings