Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The 2 Cool 4 School Shirt Tutorial:

Really it's not "too" cool for school at all! It's just right!!



For this pattern I've been using shirts from the dollar store. My daughter wears a size 10 so a size medium in women's is about the right size to start with. You could almost just as easily start with a men's shirt though. You would just have to sew up one of the sides too make it a little narrower.

1. Fold the shirt in half and cut out an arm hole.
2. Cut the shirt straight across at the top.
3. Asses the size, if you need to cut a little more at the top to get the length right then do so, then unfold the shirt and cut the front of the shirt an inch or two shorter than the back.
4. (sorry no pictures for this part) Turn the shirt inside out and press and hem the arm hole.
5. Make a casing at the top front and top back. I folded the front and back of the shirt about an inch, pressed and then sewed in a straight line.
6. Find a ribbon, or in this case another t shirt torn into strips and feed it through the casing with a safety pin. Tie bows at the shoulders..... and your done! (If you want to be).




I chose to add some lace and a tag in the bottom corner for a little personality. First I tried the shirt on my gal, then stitched it in place just where I wanted it. I then sewed the lace in a straight line right along the seem of the casing. So the lace wouldn't flip up, I tacked it in a few places at the bottom of the lace. I hope this all made sense! I never know if my girls are going to love or hate my creations. In this case it was a big hit! She wants to wear it every day and it's comfy too!!

I don't even dare say "I'M BACK" because I think I'm going to need a new computer. But until my computer breaks again, I'll post as much as I can. I've been saving up ideas!! Happy Back To School!!! I know I am!

4 comments:

Erin Shakespear said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

CUTE! That looks really great. And great job on the tute. :)

Nat Lud said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is so cute!

Kimber said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I could never do this because I am handicapped in the sewing department. It is so cute. you could have your own fashion line!

Kristi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it!!